Sunday 12 June 2011

Eid and Ramadan


                I remember spending the night in my grandmother’s house during Ramadan just to watch her cook the famous Ramadan meal. To my family and to me Ramadan is basically a month when everybody invites other family members and friends to eat after fasting for a whole day. Ever since I could remember, all of my family would gather around the table in the holy month of Ramadan and dine after a long day of fasting. I still remember the smell of msakhan , tabouleh and all the different food my grandmother used to make as a Ramadan meal.  After eating, we would all go to the television room and watch series that are only aired in Ramadan.  During T.V. commercials my dad and I would start preparing for making katayef; the traditional sweet that is made during the Holy month of Ramadan. We would spend an hour just talking and making katayef. When Ramadan ends all of us would wait for Eid; a celebration that happens after Ramadan. We would start the day by hosting our family and friends. As a tradition we make mamoul; which is a sweet we make during Eid but not only Muslims do this, Christians in Palestine make them in Easter to represent Jesus crown of thorns. We serve the mamoul with black Arabian coffee also as a tradition. Then we would end the day by spending the evening in a restaurant that makes a special Arabian night, where you spend the night listening to Arabic songs and people serving Arabic food. 

No comments:

Post a Comment